Splitting Text into Two Cells in Excel
A Student, Faculty, or Staff member would like to split the text from one cell to two separate cells in Excel.
The user has multiple items in one cell that need to be divided into two separate cells to better organize the Excel sheet.
- Select the column that needs to be separated into multiple new columns.
- Within the Data tab, select Text to Columns button:
- You will first select what separates your new fields (“Delimited” – fields will be separated by characters such as commas and tabs // “Fixed width” – fields will be separated by spaces):
- If you choose “Delimited” you will now select the character that separates your new fields:
- On the final page of the process will be an option for “Destination” where you will choose the top left corner of where this new content will be placed. This should be moved if you plan on keeping the original content because by default it will replace that content. Select the marked button to select the new start location: